Monday 1 October 2007

Cornwall

Cornwall is great - in some ways I am a bit loath to tell everyone just how nice it is, because I don't want too many people to go crowding into to the lovely quiet bits. :-)

We stayed in a lovely cottage at Trebarwith Strand with the rest of my family. I haven't been on a family holiday since we went to Morocco when I was about 18ish. That was a very long time ago! But it was great to spend time with everyone away from the normal familiar surroundings. Trebarwith Strand is a big favourite with my family, and I can really see why. It is so quiet and peaceful up on the cliff, but the sea crashes around you so fiercely when you are down on the rocks. It feels so wild, and really blows away the cobwebs!

We did the obligatory trip to the Eden project. It was kind of cool, because it was so big, but in my opinion it was not a patch on the Hortus Botanicus. Actually, it made me a bit homesick for Amsterdam. One thing I will say though is that the food is excellent! Really natural and home made tasting. We forgot to bring anything for Emma, so she ended up having "Molly Cake" in the cafe. It was healthy cake made with fruits and juices with no sugar or anything. It was surprisingly nice, and she really liked it! (I have even kept the ingredients label to see if I can work out how to make it!)

We also went to Tintagel. I didn't think much of the town, but the beach was just wonderful. I had to clamber down the rocks quite precariously with Emma in the sling, but once there she was absolutely mesmerised by the crashing sea. We found a great cave, and it was quite funny because we ran into another babywearing mum in there! I was not the only one mad enough to climb over the rocks with my baby! :-) We didn't get to go up to the castle, because it is really not baby friendly terrain. Maybe next time.

Here are the best of the photos. Sorry - there are quite a few, but I had so many to choose from!

Trebarwith Strand looking back from the beach:














Trebarwith Strand sunset:














Me carrying Emma on Trebarwith Strand at sunset:




























Mum outside the cave at Tintagel:














Dad and Lee doing manly stone skimming on the beach at Tintagel:














Emma tucks into Molly Cake at the Eden Project:














And finally...
... an arty photo of the rocks at Trebarwith Strand:














If you are still with me, thanks a lot!
I can't take credit for any of the photos - they are all down to Brett. :-)

This is a place that is very special to my family, so I don't think it is going to be too long before we go there again. Maybe next time Emma will be old enough for a bucket and spade!

1 comment:

Laura McIntyre said...

Thats beautiful , i have an aunt in Corwell but we have not been in years. I do remember its beauty